Join our official TeamSpeak 3 server addres using gloriavictisgame.com as IP address!

If you will experience any problems please contact support@gloriavictisgame.com

Troubleshooting - PLEASE READ IT FIRST IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM!- http://forum.gloriavictisgame.com/showthread.php?tid=3604

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.67 Average
[Official Developers Topic] What we are working on?
27-05-2014, 17:37 (This post was last modified: 31-07-2014 11:46 by Jog.)
Information [Official Developers Topic] What we are working on?
Hello, folks!

To strengthen the bonds between our team and the community we decided to introduce more direct form of communication that provides detailed insight on what's going on to the players.
From this day on, you will be able to see assets 'in development', information on what each and every member of our team is doing at the moment and "Ask Me Anything" sessions once in a while. These things will be spread around this topic.

NOTE: Please consider that assets flagged as 'in development' are not always displayed in their final form and will be a subject of constant change.

Hope you enjoy your stay here, make sure to spread the word!

Sneak peaks with screenshots of our everyday work

#1 Play this music while browsing links #2 and on (if it opens with a rattlesnake - that's the one)
#2 Dialogue madness for mad people
#3 The Nine great Big-ass spider-like mutant kings from space - The Tales of Character Controller, chapter XIX
#4 Scavengers and new hairstyles (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง
#5 My Ismir is wearing Heavy Armor, sucks to be Midlander
#6 Return of the oval minimap
#7 ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Riot in Dunfen ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
#8 Hangover Overload
#9 Designer's Neo's life is so colorfull, every other designer has his life painted gray

#10 First person camera gone wrong
#11 Another day of balancing craft recipes.
#12 Squizzing juices of our new texture streaming system:
#13 New particle system!
#14 We need a boats for true Ismir raids!!

Support staff / Sound Designer

Troubleshooting - PLEASE READ IT FIRST IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM!- http://forum.gloriavictisgame.com/showth...p?tid=3604

MMORPG.COM Official Gloria Victis link - http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/...ictis.html
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2014, 17:47 (This post was last modified: 27-05-2014 18:24 by bartold.)
RE: [Official Developers Topic] What we are working on?
So, let me start.

For previous months I had to focus on many things excepting the one I love the most in gamedev. Creating music.

Thanks to some new cool people who joined our team I was able to dust off my instrument (Behringer: U-CONTROL UMX49) and start to create one more track.

As we kept expanding our game territory with last patches I felt like we are missing soundtrack which we could use inside the city areas during night hours.

Thats why I've started with using deep background ambience noise with lots of reverb, as a entrance of warm vocal melody which turns into brighter thanks to use of cello's and folkloric as Irish low whistle goes in.

https://soundcloud.com/jangrochowski/glo...camp-music

Just a Work In Progress, as topic says. But I hope you will enjoy it and later, help me to name it.

Support staff / Sound Designer

Troubleshooting - PLEASE READ IT FIRST IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM!- http://forum.gloriavictisgame.com/showth...p?tid=3604

MMORPG.COM Official Gloria Victis link - http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/...ictis.html
27-05-2014, 19:10
Nice track, as always =)
About the name, well i don't know, i'm totally bad in choosing names Tongue but when i was listening i thought to an incoming storm, so a name could be Dark Clouds or Dark Skies? (as i said, i'm totally bad when i have to choose a name Big Grin)

[Image: firma-10.jpg]
27-05-2014, 19:17
Welcome!

Somehow it happened to me that I’ve become story writer and game designer for Gloria Victis. Strange how much can change in one post, sent one year ago for an invitation contest with no hope to win anything Smile So... I am here, full of joy and will of work! Smile

My current task – except designing crafting recipes and workshops (I hope you like it at all, our 3D artists made some of really god job here) or locations/equipment (this I do using my little of knowledge gained by being a Medieval reenactor) – is to rewrite/write from scratch the dialogue lines for both Mereley and Dunfen. I wanted to make Stoneholm Island alive, full of interesting characters (my second favourite part of this job, just behind the location descriptions).

Here’s some part of speeches from dialogue with Edwin, a frustrated younger son of Dunfen’s lord, Duke Derill, who more appreciates brave Edgar (wouldn’t you be frustrated too, walking in Edwin's shoes?). Of course the whole dialogue may change a bit until it’s released, but that’s how it looks for now. If you’ll come up with an interesting idea for an NPC, let me now anyway!

[to see larger image, open it in new tab by ppm]
Eng:
[Image: articy_en.jpg]

PL:
[Image: articy_pl.jpg]

Story Designer/Writer, Game Designer
27-05-2014, 19:35 (This post was last modified: 27-05-2014 19:36 by SoilFox.)
Today I made an Ismir character and I heard some of the "dialogues" and they need some work in my opinion.
I like the "Don't touch ANYTHING!" one Tongue

Anyways! If you need any voice actor person thingy to make some characters in the game I can help. Big Grin

[Image: Eo3IobO.jpg?1]
27-05-2014, 19:41 (This post was last modified: 27-05-2014 19:48 by Stilzkin.)
@Jog
Amazing work. Occasionally i listen the OST, very immersive songs Smile

A name? Let me see...city in night hours, an etheric voice, so : Nocturne Soul of City

@Bartold
Oh god o_o Cant wait to see implemented in game. A question : recently ive tried shroud of the avatar where the player can "speak" (with key words) with NPCs, ask question and try to extract information on quests/missions, any chance to see something like this in GV?
27-05-2014, 19:57 (This post was last modified: 27-05-2014 19:58 by bartold.)
Defiance - vote for Dark Clouds!

Fox - those speeches are rewritten, hope that guys will finally find some time to replace them (optimalization is our current priority anyway).

Stilzkin - i wish to, but it's really hard to tell now. There's still a lot of work with primary systems.

27-05-2014, 21:13 (This post was last modified: 28-05-2014 00:23 by Jog.)
Ok, here comes a big one.

Around 1 month ago, after completing several tasks with interactive objects I got assigned to character controller. At that time i was Happy Pepe (pic related) - finally something interesting and challenging. But as it turned out later I've had yet to realize what I'm up against

[Image: feelsgood.jpg]

The first thing I was supposed to do was fixing movement so it's independent from framerate, "ezpz" - I think, "perhaps someone forgot about Time.deltaTime". I went to research the code and the first thing I witnessed was undocumented controller class with 3k lines and a third of that in a single Update() function. Fix was relatively easy but since my next task was implementation of the whole jumping system I already knew it wouldn't be so easy in that mess. Truth to be told, controller script was nothing compared to that arachnid abomination that was lurking in Animator module (pics related):

[Image: 9e240595871ee8fd8e763cd643f87366.png]
[Image: 853fcf8a60fbdfc63db91d577b7d2177.png]
[Image: 204ca292cecc6480da47cef451a596b7.png]

In total: 9 big-ass spider-like mutants with hundreds of transitions. "It has to be this way" - they told me, "each and every MMO is like that". But still - that felt bad man

[Image: 625920573-feels-bad-man.jpg]

It didn't stop at jumping system, after that came falling, swimming, crafting, fist-fighting and fixing dozens of bugs, most of them came from bad architecture and if they were combat related - fixes had to be applied to multiple similar layers (the 9 great arachnid kings). At that time I was still able to maintain my sanity

[Image: I+_9436c39012a1e2c40ab6b6f551425822.jpg]

But still there were some bugs that couldn't be fixed or fixing them would cause other (worse) bugs to appear. One of them was so called 'combo-attack' that allowed player to perform a couple of swings in a sequence because of blends from one layer to another (while remaining in one place and attacking you had to start moving or vice-versa). This one was also causing animator's deadlocks (especially while arming/disarming). I've been trying many workarounds but nothing helped - this bug was still there in one shape or another, I was getting mad - like really mad.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4Tksj_sruwYy24LL43oZ...tjja6_uHMQ]

One week before DigitalDragons I've discovered a certain feature in Unity that changed everything - you could actually attach blendtrees to other blendtrees and reduce all movement states on each layer to one hierarchic node:

[Image: 3d18653621889a9045d3b595f6e2152a.png]

But that's not everything, with that you could even reduce all combat layers (weapon-specific) to only two layers that can manage all weapon animations.
[Image: a1c6bad798021bcd30aef54726551ed1.png]

When this idea fully developed inside of my head I was like "Screw all yo! Animator is getting a rework - Viva la Revolution!". And that's how the second war with Animator began

[Image: 2b47bb211ea1a1ec3164ccdd34f5f5f5.png]

The war ended like a half week ago, here's the body count:
1) Out of 19 layers only 6 remained (13 casualties)
2) Hundreds of transitions went out of the window
3) 3 scripts with 3k lines each, shrinked down to 3 scripts with 1k lines on average (6k lines of code were mercilessly murdered)
4) Dozens of bugs (and their families) went missing
5) Performance remained unaffected
6) Universe regained it's balance

here are final layers (couldn't fit in 10 images limit):
[Image: 2abf869dac381ad4b5f30bd005a8a96b.png]
[Image: cbaa32d49a5680fc2911a074bde1ed1f.png]
[Image: a3cc6b8b7a400790d2687ddc5bceb8d5.png]

[Image: Sbbznvk.gif]
28-05-2014, 00:14 (This post was last modified: 28-05-2014 00:19 by Paulmania.)
@Jog
This soundtrack is very nice, it reminds me of some old gothic soundtracks without sounding the same, I believe it is just that feeling. It is exactly what comes in my mind when I think about this kind of RP game.
Can't wait to hear more of your work!

@bartold
That must have been a lot of work writing all those different ways the dialogue could go, right? What I can see there on the picture looks amazing for sure Big Grin
28-05-2014, 00:56 (This post was last modified: 28-05-2014 00:56 by bartold.)
Indeed, weeks of really exhausting work - but it's much easier since I have second monitor Smile
Due to design concept of creating some non-linearity and NPC's reactivity to player's actions (very simple ones at the moment, just few basic scripts to test this mechanism for the future quests system), dialogues have a few possible beginnings and endings.

Hope that it will be some fun to read Smile